The Eastbourne Local History Society is a charitable, not-for-profit organisation whose object is the pursuit and encouragement of an active interest in the study of the history of Eastbourne and its immediate environs, and the dissemination of research through talks, publications, conducted walks and visits to places of local interest.
The Society has a wealth of local historical images in its archives.
About twelve meetings and events are held each year. Each meeting is addressed by a speaker with local historical knowledge. See our Events page for further details. A journal, the Eastbourne Local Historian is published quarterly to provide a vehicle in which members' research findings are published. It also includes the programme of forthcoming meetings and activities, news, and research enquiries.
Flint hand axes and scrapers have been found on the Downs, together with waste flakes made by the knappers.
A list of publications of interest regarding Eastbourne's history. From 'The Stream That Gave Eastbourne Its Name' to 'Letters from Wartime Eastbourne' and everything inbetween!
Numerous burial mounds exist on the Downland. Exceptional bronze and gold work has been found in the cliffs and a Late Bronze Age lagoon-side settlement exists at Shinewater.
There is reference in the Anglo-Saxon charter to Burne or Bourne. An Anglo-Saxon cemetery overlies the Iron Age settlement on St Anne's Hill where weapons, jewellery, glass and pottery were recovered.
The Eastbourne Local Historian is the quarterly house journal of the Society which is supplied to all members and is published in March, June, September and December.
Eastbourne is recorded with population of 68 villeins and 6 labourers, with 28 ploughlands, a wooden church and Roger the Cleric, about 3360 acres (1000 hectares) in total: one church, one mill and a supply of salt pans.
Built in 1160 - 1190, the Parish Church was enlarged in the 14th Century and restored in the mid 19th Century. Many monuments to local families.
Built as a defence against Napoleonic invasion, the towers extended from Suffolk to Seaford. The Wish Tower is number 73.
Built in an Art Deco style at a cost of £29,000. It established a fine tradition of Military band music over the years.
We welcome new members, and membership of the Society is open to anyone upon payment of the annual subscription, due on 1 January each year. All payments must be made in sterling. The subscription rates are: £12 for a single membership and £18 for 2 people living at the same address and sharing the Journal.
Copyright All work on this website is voluntary and remains the copyright of the contributor unless otherwise stated, and it may not be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express written permission of the copyright holder.
All requests to quote or illustrate from this material should be addressed in the first instance to email@example.com
The views expressed by individual authors do not necessarily represent those of the Eastbourne Local History Society.